In 1876 the boatbuilders Robertson & Kerr (Robertson & sons) were founded. They were to become famous for their expertise in boat and yacht building. Alex Robertson and Daniel Kerr founded the company but the Robertson & Kerr partnership was dissolved in 1878 when Daniel Kerr left to become a lighthouse keeper, and Alexander Robertson continued on his own. Daniel Kerr’s son later began work in Robertson’s yard as an office boy towards the end of the century and he remained in the business until his retirement in 1963, at age 81.
In 1886 a second boatyard, Morrris & Lorimer was also founded in Sandbank. In 1958, David Boyd who assisted the family run business was chosen to design a challenger the “Sceptre” for the America’s cup. This was quite an honour for Robertson’s as well the village of Sandbank. In 1964 Robertson’s yard was once again chosen to design a craft for the America’s cup called The “Sovereign”.
In 1980 Robertson’s yard went into liquidation, unable to keep up with the modern mass production of fibreglass boats. For a fuller history of Robertson’s boatyard click on this link Alexander Robertson & Sons . The site has since been consumed by residential building and the new Holy Loch Marina development